REMEDIATION | WETLAND MITIGATION PROJECT
Burns Harbor, IN
HEPACO was hired by Norfolk Southern to remove the 9,200 cubic yards of fill in the 3.7-acre area around the Little Callumet River to restore the wetland area. The work under the contract consists of establishing site access and erosion control, fill removal and disposal, concrete foundation removal, installation of wetland plugs and seeding, and installation of slope seeding and erosion control blanket.
The work consisted of the following major items:
- Installation and maintenance of erosion control measures.
- Establishing, maintaining, and removing site access as necessary to complete the work.
- Removing fill to the lines and grades shown on the Plans or as directed by the Engineer.
- Properly disposing of removed fill.
- Removing and properly disposing of concrete foundations (34 cubic yards).
- Installing wetland plugs and seeding (12,635 square yards of seeding and 9,135 plugs).
- Installing slope seeding and erosion control blankets (4,455 square yards).
- Installing topsoil where needed (940 cubic yards).